Where the hell do I start..

After much deliberation and more than a shove from my overly-wonderful husband, I have finally created a blog. Like most people, creating the blog page is the easy part. It's finding shit to write about that does your head in. With a wide range of audiences, I'm fucked. So, I'm takin' a stab at this. Sorry if anything I come up with offends or surprises anyone. This is my blog, so all you haters can hit the damn road.

Friday, May 6, 2011

TXT - THE GR8 DB8 (lesson on Shorthand)


As part of a request I have decided to do a post on the use of Shorthand or as the ‘Y’ generation sees it, txt speak, SMS language or Textese. (also known as txtese, chatspeak, txt, txtspk, txtk, txto, texting language, txt lingo, or txt talk)

There has always been a major debate on whether or not abbreviations should be used and if the use of it causes an inability to spell. Truth is, it’s not all as bad as the older generations perceive it to be. I’ll state a few of the obvious facts below;

  • Typically, less than 10% of the words are abbreviated in text messages.
  • Abbreviating is not a new language; instead, it has been present for many decades.
  • Children and adults both use SMS language, the latter being more likely to do so.
  • Students do not habitually use abbreviations in their homework or examinations.
  • Sending text messages is not a cause of bad spelling because people need to know how to spell before they can send a text message.
  • Sending text messages improves people's literacy, as it provides more opportunity for people to engage with the language through reading and writing.
  • Abbreviations have been seen to date back as far as the 1800’s.
Shorthand is actually rather easy to read if you already know how to spell. The trick is learning to understand the use of the word in a particular sentence.

For example;
“omg, cnt tlk, PAW, ttyl. Lol <3 u.”

Translates to;
“Oh my god, can’t talk, parents are watching, talk to you later. *Laughing out loud*, love (heart) you.”

After a bit of research on this topic I’ve found a few decent sites to assist in the understanding of Shorthand. (Links are below)


And for assistance in translating something written to you: http://www.lingo2word.com/

Most common words used among the kids today are as follows: 

LOL – Laugh out loud
TTYL – Talk to you later
ATM – At the moment
TY – Thank you
OMG – Oh my god
YW – Your Welcome
ROFL – Rolls on floor laughing
HWRU? – How are you?
LMAO – Laughing my ass off
BCUZ - Because
ORLY? – Oh really?
WT? – What?
SRS? – Serious?
BTW – By the way
I <3 U – I lesser than three you/ I love you
IDC/IDK – I don’t care/know
GTG – Good to go / Got to go
CBB/CBF – Can’t be bothered / fucked
SRY - Sorry
JK – Just Kidding

A comic poem printed in 1867 with lines like "I wrote 2 U B 4" ("I wrote to you before").






































So, that concludes my lesson/post on understanding Shorthand, hopefully this assists our fellow oldies. ^_-  (by the way, that's a smiley winking)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment