Where the hell do I start..

After much deliberation and more than a shove from my overly-wonderful husband, I have finally created a blog. Like most people, creating the blog page is the easy part. It's finding shit to write about that does your head in. With a wide range of audiences, I'm fucked. So, I'm takin' a stab at this. Sorry if anything I come up with offends or surprises anyone. This is my blog, so all you haters can hit the damn road.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

They see me trollin', they hatin'

I've done some research on the definition of 'trolls/trolling' and have come to a crossroad on this discussion. Upon reading different outlooks on the meaning of a troll, it began to make me wonder what exactly a troll may actually stand for. Has the internet and it's users decided to label these people because of their personal opinions, even if it's an attack on an individual or group? Does that make someone a troll? Or simply just a jerk? I believe there has to be a fine line between the two because as of late, even I have been labeled a troll.


I've shuffled around a few of the definitions and picked one that may actually define what a troll may represent -

Trolling is a violation of the implicit rules of Internet social spaces and is often done to inflame or invite conflict. It necessarily involves a value judgment made by one user about the value of another's contribution. (Because of this it is considered not to be any more useful than the judgment 'I don't agree with you' by many users, who prefer to focus on behaviors instead of on presumed intent). Not to be confused with large warty monsters thought to dwell under bridges, in caves etc.
Trolling is not necessarily the same as vandalism (although vandalism may be used to troll). A vandal may just enjoy defacing a webpage, insulting random users, or spreading some personal views in an inappropriate way. A troll deliberately exploits tendencies of human nature or of an online community to upset people.
There are many types of disruptive users that are not trolls. Reversion warriors, POV warriors, cranks, impolite users, and vocal critics of Wikipedia structures and processes are not necessarily trolls.
The basic mindset of a troll is that they are far more interested in how others react to their edits than in the usual concerns of Wikipedians: accuracy, veracity, comprehensiveness, and overall quality. If a troll gets no response to their spurious edits, then they can hardly be considered a troll at all.

What is a Troll? - Wikimedia   <<< Click for more info.

So here's what I'm thinking.. If I was to interrupt a forum group posting, say on the topic of abortion (I know, how generic) and started voicing my opinion; e.g " That's bull shit, no woman has the right to kill an innocent being OR That's bloody stupid, every woman has a right to choose whether or not they want to bring a child into this world!"

Would posting this over and over again be classed as trolling? No.

If I were to respond with something like: "Your all dumb sluts OR women belong in the kitchen, so how do they get pregnant?"

INSTA - TROLL.

Well, in my opinion, no, that is not trolling. That would just label me sexist and perhaps even against women's rights. (Lets remember that I'm actually a woman and I do believe in our rights. It's just an example.)



I guess it all depends on the topic at hand and I know it's something I'll never come to understand. But after all this reading and self-debating I've got something I can agree with. I'm a troll baby.

Definition: A troll baby is someone cute but who does trollish things to you or friends. often creates jokes around friends. mostly funny sometimes harmful; always in good fun.
 
So once again, I have info to back me up. Thanks Urban Dictionary, for assisting in labeling my ass before I managed to get banned from anything for no real reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment